This client in Hamilton came to us and stated that she wanted a cottage style garden and oasis for her front and backyard around her red brick house. To create this cottage style garden, we created the short walls in the front to match the brickwork of the house and finished it off with a latching black iron gate. In the backyard, we then created a courtyard garden sitting area with a water feature. The water feature was created to soften the noise of the street and create a tranquil environment in the middle of the city.
The challenges we faced in doing this project included: limited space in the courtyard, drainage issues, as well as the fact that access to both the front and back yards were limited. In order to deal with the drainage runoff, we created a permeable patio which eliminates water runoff. To deal with limited space, we chose dwarf plantings, and built a small custom shed that fit perfectly in the backyard for her garden tools and extra storage. The custom water feature was compact and functional, so that helped create a lot of extra dining space, while still giving the client her cottage feel in the backyard.
- Short, brick walls in front with coping
- Iron gate in front
- Stone wall with gentle and neat waterfall cascading into 2 ceramic vases
- Permeable patio in the courtyard to allow drainage
- New shed for storage and garden tools
- Plantings around the yard to create a cottage garden feel as well as door plantings to allow for more space